Monday, July 15, 2013

I still don't eat sugar - even though this post suggests otherwise (7-4)

I didn't create this - but I did improvise it and change it enough so I am calling it my own - caramel/chocolate chex mix. And according to some of my friends - it's as addictive as crack (but according to Toddcat, it is too gooey and rich - but what does he know?).

1 box chocolate chex (or 1/2 box chocolate chex and 1/2 box rice chex - this comes in handy when your house guest eats virtually all of the chocolate chex mix and you are left scrapping the bottom of the barrel).
3/4 cup brown sugar
6 Tbs butter
3 Tbs corn syrup
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 bag reese's peanut butter cups (mini size but I can never find these so I just chop them up)
1 pkg of caramels
Some marshmallows
"splash" of almond milk/cream/liquid - whatever you have on hand
Some chocolate baking chips
Some white chocolate chips

On the stove, mix together the brown sugar, butter, corn syrup. Once the brown sugar has dissolved, add in the baking soda and stir. Pour over the chex and mix. Spread the chex out on to parchment paper and allow to cool.

Once cooled, sprinkle the peanut butter cups and marshmallows on the mixture.

Melt caramels with almond milk/liquid/heavy cream and pour over the chex mix. Allow to cool.

Melt chocolate chips and distribute over the chex mix. Allow to cool.

Melt white chocolate chips and distribute over the chex mix. Allow to cool.

If too gooey and gross - store in the fridge and allow it to harden up.

Voila!

5 comments:

ToddCat said...

ToddCat knows that Chocolate Chex are delicious all by themselves, especially when you wake up at 8am and your hosts never get out of bed until 10am.

Rachel said...

I've already gained 10 pounds, thanks to my parents supplying endless ice cream and sugary goods. But I'm thinking that the 'diet and exercise' regime I have in mind will have to wait so I can try this deliciousness out! What's another couple pounds, right? :) I'm a sucker for chocolate-ness, gooey-ness and marshmallowy-ness, especially all in one! ;)

emlizalmo said...

The bomb. Period. Too gooey? Todd...you are crazy craze!

emlizalmo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I'm making them today. Can't wait...