Friday, October 24, 2008

SHOCKTOBER!

Every October I have a goal to watch as many scary movies as possible. You know, just to really enjoy the season. This goal, however, is hindered by the fact that my husband (bless him) is a big fat baby when it comes to scary movies. He considers "Watcher in the Woods" (you know where Narek is Karen spelled backwards) as being about as scary as it gets. (Don't get me wrong Bette Davis is frightening but I sometimes want to watch some sort of slasher type movie just to celebrate the month of scary-ness). In my quest, we found this dvd, "Dark Tales From Japan" at the library which I thought might be perfect. After all, we have Japan to thank for "The Grudge." Um, let's put it this way - it wasn't that great. We found ourselves laughing when we should have been frightened. It honestly looked like it was a student movie project. To make things perfect - as we watched it (and were laughing) I went to turn out the lights and Greg said, "Um I don't think I can watch this with the lights out."

Needless to say - Shocktober continues to remain my a goal.

7 comments:

Abby said...

Awesome. True confessions, though -- I'm as big a baby as Ross. I love suspense thrillers but I love them when watched from behind my hands or, even better, from behind someone else's shoulder. I do not love slasher movies in any way, shape or form. So, Ross, I feel your pain.

Josh and Erika Thorne Family said...

I never took you for a scary movie lover-- are we talking like SAW and all those horrifying straight- to- dvd because they are too horrific to even put in theatres or like Psycho, The shining etc...?
I used to like scary movies but I just can't handle them anymore! but more like suspense not hacking people up type. I did get into the Scary Movie series when they first came out but not really anything since then

Lindy said...

I'm with Ross--a couple of years ago at the beginning of October I saw some of Jeepers Creepers on TV. I had nightmares until about February. It's just not worth it.

Arnell Family said...

I am with Greg! I still have nightmares from "So I Married An Axe Murderer". That girl in the white dress - simply chilling! I love October, but only happy things! Sad, so sad! Poor Paul.

(On a side note, I have to ask you some questions about Chicago. Could you email me? tristinarnell@yahoo.com) THANKS!

Karyn said...

http://thejollyporter.blogspot.com/2008/10/you-cant-say-no-to-nosferatu.html
Check that out... sounds spooky or at least, interesting... and Halloween-ish.

Anonymous said...

Your nieces have some award winning Halloween stories that will definitely contribute to the Shocktober quest. Look forward to it.

Christina said...

I HATE Watcher in the Woods. It is so freaking scary. I hate scary movies, too.