Friday, October 26, 2007

True Confessions . . . part two


I love musicals. Some people are afraid to admit this. . . but I'm not. I love them. Last fall we went to NY and Ross being the good husband that he is--went with me to see three musicals in two days. I'm kind of musical freak that way. Sometimes I wish my life were a musical. Alright most of the time I wish my life were a musical. Not only do I love musicals, but I love to burst out into song and sing along with them (within appropriate company). I have forgotten about how much I love doing this but then I was reminded when I saw Kristin Chenoweth singing "Hopelessly Devoted to You" (a classic). Ross recently posted his top ten ipod songs so I have decided to post my top ten musical songs. This is difficult--it's like picking a favorite child (they are not listed in any particular order):


1) Unexpected Song ("Song & Dance")

2) Everything's Alright ("Jesus Christ Superstar")

3) The Speed Test ("Thoroughly Modern Millie")-try and sing it as fast as he does--just try

4) Defying Gravity/Popular just about the whole "Wicked" book (I have seen this show . . . a lot and I still get chills everytime I see Defying Gravity--it is amazing).

5) The Song That Goes Like This ("Spamalot")

6) My Strongest Suit ("Aida"--I like the reprise best-short and sweet and sad)

7) There's Me ("Starlight Express"--a musical on roller skates-perfect!)

8) Girl For All Seasons and Cool Rider ("Grease 2"--Pinks-if you are out there you know what I am talking about for everyone else-I have the soundtrack if you want to borrow it)

9) Come To Me, A Little Fall of Rain etc. ("Les Miserables"-the whole book is fantastic)

10) Show Off ("Drowsy Chaperone")


Honorable Mention "Come Out of the Dumpster" from the musical, "The Wedding Singer."

4 comments:

Todd said...

I, too, am a musical fan, but feel I have not seen nearly enough of them. Thanks for introducing me to the wonderful world of Wicked. We will definitely need to see many more musicals in the future.

Now, while we are on this musical note, and since you insist on giving me the reputation of bringing down your alleged "high-brow" blog, I would like to share part of a poem I once heard:

Beans, beans, the musical fruit.
The more you eat, the more you toot.
The more you toot, the better you feel.
So eat your beans with every meal!

Lily said...

Love it. It was KTC who introduced me to "Wicked" and I've never been the same since. Hooray for "Thoroughly Modern Millie" too. My next goal is to go see "Drowsy Chaperone" because I've heard rave reviews.
(P.S. I'll email you soon re:Mr.Mott's advice...he's been swamped)

Abby said...

Oh, KT. This post "just makes me want to ... SING!" Seriously. Posts like this are a little dangerous that way because I'm not sure my coworkers are really prepared for the loud and intense rendition of the "Forget About the Boy" song & dance sequence from Thoroughly Modern Millie that is threatening to burst out of me.

I love all the songs you listed and because I love to post long, semi-interesting blog comments, I'm going to add my own "top ten." These are ten songs from musicals that I love to sing:
1) The above-noted Forget About the Boy from Thoroughly Modern Millie;
2) Home from the Broadway Beauty and the Beast;
3)Poor Wand'ring One from Pirates of Penzance
4)Adelaide's Lament from Guys & Dolls
5)Forgiveness from Jane Eyre
6)It's Only Love from Scarlet Pimpernell
7)Show Off from Drowsy Chaperone (which is really one of the best shows EVER)
8)What Ever Happened to My Part from Spamalot
9)I'm Not at All in Love from Pajama Game
10)Loathing, Popular, Defying Gravity -- okay, anything from Wicked.

Lindy said...

I'm so grateful for this ode to musicals. I really, really, really love them. I am trying to indoctrinate my child early so we can pressure Ryan into taking us to see them.